Calls for Entry
June 9–July 28, 2017
Receptions: June 9 + July 14, 5-8pm
ENTRIES DUE Thursday, May 11, 2017, 4pm
Apply through Call For Entry today
Description of Theme: Art Works Downtown aims to create an exhibition exploring the full range of abstract art, both objective and non-objective artworks will be considered.
Juror: To Be Announced
- SF Bay Area artists only (artist must live within 100 miles from San Rafael California)
- Open to all visual arts media, video (must provide player and monitor, projections are prohibited).
- Size limit: individual artworks must not be larger than six feet in any dimension.
- Apply through Call For Entries.org. AWD will not accept hardcopy, email, or disk submissions.
- Original artwork only. No giclees or reproductions
- Submissions must not have previously exhibited in the AWD 1337 Gallery.
- Thurs, May 11, 4pm: Entries due via CallForEntry.org
- Fri, May 19 or Sat, May 20: Notification by email
- Sat, June 3, 11am-4pm: Deliver accepted entries
- Fri, June 9, 5-8pm: Reception
- Fri, July 14, 5–8pm: 2nd Reception
- Sat, July 29, 10am - 4pm: Pick up unsold artwork
$40 for up to 3 entries. Discount provided for AWD Artist Members.
AWD uses callforentry.org (CaFÉ) to process juried exhibitions. To submit entries, visit callforentry.org. First create a free profile then upload images to your portfolio. Second, apply to this call. The CaFÉ website provides all the assistance you should need to prepare your submissions and apply.
If you have trouble sizing your image(s), use the links provided below for help. Before you start, we recommend reviewing the CAFÉ HELP page. We also recommend reviewing our CAFÉ Tips and Tricks by going to CAFÉ Tips and Tricks by clicking here. If you need assistance after using Call For Entry HELP or these other websites, contact AWD to request assistance from our staff.
• 3D/sculptural entries: Since you can only submit one image per entry, we suggest submitting one image with two views.
• Free online image software: pixlr.com/editor; www.online-image-editor.com
• Make sure you are using the most updated browser: browsehappy.com. If you are not using the most recent version of your browser, please update by following the link to the web browser(s) of choice.
You will be notified by email. Note: you will receive separate emails for accepted and rejected works.
Delivery of Accepted Work
Work(s) must be hand delivered to Art Works Downtown 1337 Fourth St., San Rafael between the hours of 11am and 4pm. All work must be ready for installation. Wall hung work must be securely wired.If you work requires special installation, prepare printed directions.No substitutes will be accepted for works approved by the juror.Please also deliver an artist statement and resume for the artist binder. We do not print these materials for you. The artist must sign a consignment contract upon delivery. If a representative of the artist delivers, the artist must call ahead to give the representative’s name.
Pick up unsold work between 10am and 4pm. Artists who do not retrieve their work will be charged a storage fee of $1.00 per day. Works remaining after 30 days will become property of Art Works Downtown.
Art Works Downtown (AWD) accepts a 40% donation upon sale. AWD processes sales as follows. All checks and credit card sales will be made to Art Works Downtown. AWD then reports the sales tax and passes the net sale to the artist. The artist is responsible for donating 40% of the net sale total to AWD. It is not the artist’s responsibility to report sales tax. All sold artworks will remain in the gallery until the exhibition ends. Buyers can pick up the work on, or after, the last exhibition day. Sales will be paid to artists at the end of the exhibition.
Liability and Image use Regarding Work Submitted
Precaution will be taken to safeguard all work from loss or damage, but neither Art Works Downtown nor anyone connected with this exhibition will be responsible for loss or damage from any cause. Artist permits AWD to use images(s) of accepted works for AWD promotions.
ENTRIES DUE Thursday, May 11, 2017, 4pm
Apply through Call For Entry today
Signs of Hope • Calls for Activism Signs
April 14–29, 2017
Reception: April 14 • 5–8pm
Jurors: Angelique Benicio, fine artist, and Thomas Roedoc, Art Works Downtown Vice President
Signs of Hope will be an exhibition featuring Bay Area activism signs at the nonprofit art center Art Works Downtown. Your sign could add to this exhibition and further the conversation. Communication builds community!
- Signs used for civil activism during 2016-2017. Signs of any size will be considered.
- Open to SF Bay Area residents
- No more than two signs per artist may be entered.
- All signs and points of view are welcomed and encouraged. Not all signs will be accepted, but all signs will be considered.
- It is not required, but we'd like to receive a single sheet of 8.5"x11" white paper along with the sign(s) that includes a brief account of where the sign was used and why it was made in the lower half, and a photo of the sign in action in the upper half.
- April 6, 7, 10am–4pm: deliver your sign to Art Works Downtown Multipurpose Room
- April 11, 12: Notification of jury results by email
- 4/14, 5–8pm: Second Friday Art Walk and exhibition reception
- 4/30, 5/2, 10am–4pm: Pick up signs
Please Note: 4/30 is a Sunday, AWD art center will be open only for pick up of signs.
Entry Fee: There is no cost to participate.
Notification: You will be notified by email.
Delivery of Accepted Work: Work(s) must be hand delivered to Art Works Downtown 1337 Fourth St., San Rafael between the hours of 10am and 4pm. Please also deliver a one page, typed, brief account of where the sign was used and why it was made with a picture of the sign in action (if possible). The sign artist must sign a consignment contract upon delivery. If a representative of the artist delivers, the artist must call or email ahead to give the representative’s name.
Pick Up:Signs not chosen to exhibit, will be saved for owners to pick-up during the evening of the reception 4/14. Those who pick-up their work that evening are encouraged to carry their signs around the event and to share them with people.Signs chosen for the exhibition must be retrieved at the end of the exhibition between 10am and 4pm on 4/30 or 5/2.
Liability and Image use Regarding Work Submitted:Precaution will be taken to safeguard all work from loss or damage, but neither Art Works Downtown nor anyone connected with this exhibition will be responsible for loss or damage from any cause. Artist permits AWD to use images(s) of accepted works for AWD promotions.
How to Apply
1337 Gallery How to apply
Underground Gallery How to apply
Founders' Gallery How to apply
1325 Donors' Gallery How to apply
Call for Entry.org (CAFE.org) Tips and Tricks
To ensure credit card security, CAFE requires clients to use updated internet browsers (such as Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer). Before you begin using www.callforentry.org, make sure your browser is up-to-date by going to this website: http://browsehappy.com/. If you're version is not current make sure to update the software. If you are constrained by hardware limitations (example: old Mac's can't upgrade to new Safari), simply download a different, and current, browser. We recommend Firefox.
Image File format:
JPEG only, dimensions: No smaller than 1920 pixels on the longest side, resolution: 72 ppi/dpi, Size: 5 MB maximum. Make sure your images follow these parameters. If you are uploading an image and the process is taking a long time (longer than 5-10 minutes), your image is probably wrong. Unfortunately the CAFÉ message does not tell you this, it only says that it is loading and make take a while.
Learn more about CAFÉ.org image file requirements:
Free online image softwares to resize your image:
Applying for a call:
Uploading images to your “Portfolio” and applying to a call for entries are two different processes. When you apply for an exhibition you will need to choose entries from your Portfolio by checking little boxes next to the images. If you only have three images in your Portfolio, you must check the box for each entry to submit that entry.
Make sure to “PREVIEW” before checking out. Once you click “CHECK OUT” you can NOT change or correct your application.
Checking Out, Payment and Coupon Codes:
When you have looked at your application “PREVIEW” and you see all of your entry images, click “CHECK OUT.” This will begin the payment process. Follow the prompts to pay for your entries. Only credit cards are accepted. If you are an AWD Artist Member you can use your coupon code to receive an entry fee discount. Simply follow the prompts until it asks you for the Coupon Code (you will not see this right away). Then enter the code and proceed.
We understand that the online application process can be frustrating and hope you will overcome technology to participate in our exhibitions. While the CAFÉ.org service is far from perfect, it is still a very helpful service for AWD and for many artists. As you apply through this process, we encourage you to take a deep breath, think logically (bnot emotionally) and take your time to thoroughly read the prompts and consider the buttons. If you are digitally challenged, you may want to find someone who is not overly challenged by the digital realm. Offer them a cup of coffee, fresh baked bread or small payment and remember that the digital world is always changing at an alarming rate. We’re just trying to keep up.